Thinking of going on solo travel? Read and make notes of these 13 useful tips on how to make your solo travel enjoyable and safe before you embark on one.
Tips for solo travellers
Have you experienced it before? It should be on your bucket list because it is an awesome experience. It may be daunting, but the satisfaction that you get from it is unrivalled. Here are some guidelines:
- You get to do what you want to do. You decide on what to eat, how much to eat, where to eat. Copy and paste that for other verbs, ie. go, drink, do, see, enjoy.
- You’ll meet inspiring people when you travel.
- You’ll make new friends.
- You will learn how to be independent and feel darn good about it.
- You will start to appreciate your friends and family when you are alone. Not because you feel lonely, but distance gives a calming perspective to relationships!
- Not everyone is brave enough to travel alone. Kudos to you if you have done it!
- Be open to new things, but keep your guard up too.
- Learn a few words in a new language, it can go a long way.
- Join tours to meet new people.
- Have breakfast if you are staying at a hostel. That’s where you will meet other people that you might get along with. Join activities organised by the hostel if they are up your alley.
- If you don’t know something, ask. People aren’t as intimidating as they may seem. Many a time they are willing to help a stranger.
- Enjoy being alone. Take time to read at the beach or in a café.
- Be appreciative of the fact that you have the luxury to do this and be away from the daily grind.
- Your phone is your security. Maps, reviews, TripAdvisor and emergency numbers.
- Don’t get too tipsy. At that point you’ll lose capability to discern right from wrong and trustworthy from not.
- Always let someone know where you are. Chat or message friends or family at home, or download Find Your Friends.
- Don't listen to earphones and mute out the outside world. Let sound and noise be your first alerts.
- Be assertive and stand firm on what you want. Don’t let people think you are a pushover.
- Be confident at the same time, so that people won’t think you are aimless and lost.
WorldRoamer® believes that the experience of booking hotel and things to do should be personal and transparent, and aims to be the best hotels booking and things to do website and app for all roamers.